Monday, September 7, 2026

American Civil War battles


'The Hornet's Nest' - from my own depiction of the battle of 
Shiloh April 6 1862.

I've recently discovered a whole series of videos of animated narratives of American Civil War battles. The technique is simple, units shown are rectangles representing regiments moving around on a map. The view zooms in on local actions, and zooms out for more general overviews. The spoken narrative is delivered in something of a monotone, but is easy to understand as one follows the action.


Here's the Battle of Shiloh - it goes for 95 minutes. I think there is a shorter 'Day 1' (April 6 1862) video as well. Highly recommended.

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP-taTxJTMQ


Major-General Montgomery J. Klaxon, CSA



13 comments:

  1. Ion, it has been a while since I last saw one of your caricatures. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be forced to do some more, Jonathan. I've returned to the Little Great War - some caricatured characters might be emerging there, as the Hyrcanian Front (Izumrud-Zeleniya vs Turcowaz) opens up.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  2. Splendid caricature, Ion! Thanks for the video recommendation as well—those regimental block-map animations are fantastic for visualizing troop movements and getting a clear operational overview.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew -
      There's quite a lot of those videos. I've seen Gettysburg, Chickamauga, and parts of Bell Hood's campaign in Tennessee.
      'So, now I'm marching southward,
      My heart is full of woe;
      I'm going back to Georgia,
      to see my Uncle Joe.
      You may talk about your Beauregard,
      And sing of General Lee;
      But the gallant Hood of Texas
      Played Hell in Tennessee!'
      - sung to the tune of 'Yellow Rose of Texas'.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    2. Haha, superb verse, Ion! Hood’s Tennessee campaign certainly makes for a dramatic narrative. I’ll definitely be looking up the rest of those series—thanks for pointing them out!

      All the best, Andy

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Martin. I'm hoping that the influence of a certain Ronald Searle might be in evidence...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They are getting there, I think. I have a couple I don't think I've yet published here...
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  5. I found HistoryGoneWilder my last year working. I enjoyed listening to his narrative as I drove my route. I agree with the other commenter's about your artwork. I especially like your picture of the Hornet's Nest. Reminds me of David Greensleeve's illustrations of Civil War battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jhnptrqn -
      I think you might be thinking of David Greenspan. I'm not familiar with the name, but I think I have seen some of his work in some ACW publication or other. My Shiloh effort was in imitation of Robert W. Nicholson's paintings for each of the 3 days of Gettysburg for 'National Geographic', July 1963 issue. I quite liked the style. My whole painting tries to show in one picture how the action developed throughout 6 April. I never did do the 7 April battle.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete