Sunday, April 24, 2016

Army Men Scratch Builds and Adaptations.

My previous posting being concerned with adaptations and scratch-building equipment for my WW2 armies, it seemed appropriate this this one focused upon my Army Men project.
Kiivar field howitzers.
At last I have assembled a 3-gun battery of Kiivar field howitzers.  The trails, breech blocks and such are made of balsa; lollipop sticks have gone into other parts of the construction.  The gun barrels are exhausted felt-tip pen barrels. I have yet to add tow loops to the ends of the trails.

Kiivar field howitzers in battery...
The wheels have been slowly collected from small spice and herb jars bought at the local supermarket.  Future collection might go into limbers.  The measuring/surveying staffs (?) I added for a bit of colour,  Only the centre piece has one on its left-hand side as well.
With tractors.  Limbers yet to be built.  That will probably
require collecting more road wheels...
The over-scale jeeps I acquired with some Army Men soldiery I bought a couple of years back have become the prime movers for these howitzers.  One is lacking a windscreen, and I'm thinking of placing a card or paper tilt on all of these.  Two used to be in Raesharn service,  but I figured that they were needed more to draw these.

Towards the end of 2014, Brian gave me the dark green vehicle below.

Comparison of sizes between the AA vehicle and the
Army Men tank.


Very soon I gave it the addition to the sides of the vehicle to disguise the
flush casting of the hull side and road wheels.
It was pretty battered, had no tracks, and the whole side skirt and road wheel assembly was one flush piece.  I began at once by cutting and pasting a length of card plastic along the bottom edge of the skirt to suggest that the road wheels were behind.  I also added a cardboard shield.  As the shield was a bit flimsy and flollopy, I recently added side pieces better to protect the crew and to make the shield firmer.

The vehicle has been painted in Raesharn's distinctive camouflage pattern.  Having been added later, the side pieces of the shield will need to be painted also.


How the finished tracks look on the AA vehicle.
The underside of the vehicle I made from lollipop stick braced to push the inward curving sides outwards.  The ends of the lollipop sticks I hoped would suggest drive sprockets and such.  I then enclosed all this with balsa to give the thing an overall solid look.  The tracks are made from non-slip matting - a different design from that which I used for the vehicles in my previous posting.  Blue again, I slolloped black paint over it and added a silver coating semi-drybrushed over it.  
Hasn't turned out too badly, methinks.  I may add a rust coloured wash over it all later.
That gun shield does need some tidying up...



At the moment, there is but one crew man visible.  This is from a NATO figure wearing a beret.  I decided that Raesharn tank men wear red berets (again, just to add a bit of colour).  I have yet to find another figure I am willing to sacrifice to place on the other side of the gun.  I'd like him to sport a beret as well..  These figures I cut with wire cutters at roughly the upper half or third of the torso, then jam them in beside the twin AA cannon.
AA vehicle traversing rough country...

HQ radio lorry.
This here is an HQ Staff Radio lorry in Kiivar service.  It started out in life as a 'Fort Knox' truck, complete with a combination lock rear door.  I have done nothing about that door - I find the feature attractive for no other reason than that it's there.
Div HQ:  Radio lorry and staff car.
The HQ lorry in the company of a General Officer's staff car.  Some touching up needs doing on the latter.


21 comments:

  1. I really like the way you make so much out of these 'toys' Ion. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. Saves having top scour the internet for such things... Actually, that's about it for the Army Men heavy equipment...

      Delete
  2. Well done lon, had that AA gun as a kid over 40 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do rather think I have improved on the design... :-)

      Delete
  3. The howitzers are absolutely inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Brian. The sort of thing I wanted wasn't turning up in shops, so... Construction was pretty slow, keeping pace with the gradual accumulation of wheels. I have a feeling that when it comes to certain types of wheels, a 3D printer might be the caper.

      Delete
  4. As always you have produced something fantastic! I will have to try your non-stick matting track system to see how it works on some of my projects as it looks very cool,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you supplied the AA vehicle Brian. Thanks for that: the Raesharn needed one. Of course it needed some work to render it FFS, but I quite like the end product. Not perfect, but it'll do.

      Delete
  5. Love your scratch builds and upgrades. I thought the guns were upgraded toys till you started writing about felt pens and shakers. I really love the non skid mat as tracks. You have a wonderfully twisted and perceptive eye for such things.

    But, berets, surely the easiest headgear to convert either by soldering iron or epoxy putty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Ross. I hadn't thought of modifying head gear. Probably should have thought of that before mutilating the NATO guy. Never mind. The matting idea came when I found that the strapping idea I had at first was [a] hard to work with in some ways, and [b] not quite the thing. I've not tried it on 1:72/1:76 scale halftracks. The matting might not work so well there.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some classy work here Ion. Love those field guns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Paul. The Raesharn won't know what hit 'em.

      Delete
  8. Impressive howitzers and nice camo job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil! The camo more or less demarks the belligerents. Various shades of buff or grey with green outlined in black denote Kiivar; the multi-coloured dazzle effect, Raesharn. I have toyed with changing the belligerents to Phaic Tanh and Ghan Grinh, but I never really got into the Green vs Tan thing...

      Delete
  9. Splendid stuff. I especially like the guns and the rather menacing AA tank!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers, Tim. That AA tank certainly needed a fair bit of work. But the end result was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The non-slip matting is inspired! I was wondering how to accomplish that effect for a treadless toy tank that is about the right scale. Thanks so much for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I was very pleased with how the idea turned out. I've tried it on a 1:76 scale model (StuG that happened to be trackless, and although it has a 'toy soldier' look, it seems to 'work' there, too.

      Delete