Possibly the 'centre piece' of the recent trove of stuff received from Brian and Glenn was a German Leopard I MBT, pretty much painted up and ready to go. Brian suggested I give the ink treatment, but I thought before that, I'd do the brown a much paler shade of tan-yellow, and outline the green with a different (darker) green. The pic below shows the Leopard after those two tasks were done.
But the think needed something more. I thought. First an identifying number. As I have decided my Imagi-Nation of Tchagai is Urdu-speaking, it seemed to me numerals along those lines were called for. The numbers will be pretty much randomly selected, rather than some serial system. This tank is #248.
The tracks came next. So far unpainted, I thought a red 'rust' treatment, yellowish dust/dried mud dry-brushed overall, and then a slosh of Nuln Oil overall would be the caper.
The tracks were very loose as well, and one threatening to break. So first I glued them to the bottom of the road wheels, and attempted to 'drape' them between the sprockets and return wheels. The process was a very qualified success, only barely solving the looseness problem. The draping came out sort of OK, but no better than that.
A little touch up with the rear lights - not very accurate in close up, but looks OK from a distance.
And then weathering. In the pictures, the weathering (dry-brushed desert yellow) looks a bit heavier than it does at a normal viewing distance. But I reckon I might go a bit easier on subsequent vehicles.
Finally, an incoming rocket's eye view the Leopard, inked and weathered.
In an earlier trove was this ROCO Chieftain. Being smaller in scale, I thought it could represent a kind of 'Chieftain Junior' - perhaps a Mark of Vickers Main Battle Tank built for the international market. It doesn't look quite like any of the actual marks exported, but not so very different, neither. I thought of calling it a Vickers MBT Mk 5. (A.k.a. Susan. Nah, I'm kidding).
Having looked once more at the paint work, I have decided I will make only minor modifications. Most of the decals, roman characters and arabic numerals will go. But that floral motif, seen on the off-side front mudguard, looks so good, I will keep it. So far, then, I have done only the ink (Nuln Oil) outlining.
That treatment picks out the top detail quite nicely...
Welcome to Chuck - from The Land of Chuck - Follower #96;and robbie3rodiss, follower #97. Check out 18th Century Studios ...