Monday, August 19, 2019

Terrain Generation...

I was very interested to read Bob Cordery's 'Terrain Generation' method, and wondered how adaptable it would be to my own 10x10 square grid.  The thought occurred to me that if I were to ignore the outer square of ... erm ... squares, the thing would work quite nicely.

So I gave it a crack - a stream and a road passing through undulating cultivated country.  Here is the result:


Terrain generation, using the method for an 8x8 square grid
ignoring the outermost squares on this 10x10 grid except
for roads and rivers, and - potentially - railways.

Well:  a bit sparse, but that can be remedied.  That green shape is not part of Bob's scheme, but it occurred to me that one might add things like orchards, ponds/meres, swamps and enclosed fields.  Requiring a 5 or 6 each for an orchard, pond or swamp, none appeared on this map.  Allowing a 4, 5 or 6 for an enclosed field area, and using the system of location placed it where the green dot appears on the grid.  Rolling a '5' for size yielded a 3-square area.  I arranged it arbitrarily as shown on the map.

Pretty open terrain, possibly somewhere in the steppes of the Ukraine or the Donbas areas, in the locality of a State Farm.

Of course, I'm not going to let this map go to waste.  I'll just have to think of a battle to fight on it!

4 comments:

  1. Also suitable for South African Veldt, te dusty plains of India, possibly the plains of Mongolia or Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Archduke Piccolo,

    When I look at a generated terrain map and think ' I'd like to fight a battle on that battlefield', the system has worked! My first though was that this is good tank or cavalry country, and obviously defensible positions are a bit few and far between.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more a case of: well, I'll give it a try-out. But I have seen sparser war games battlefields! Come to think of it ...
      http://archdukepiccolo.blogspot.com/2017/02/grid-wargames-play-test.html

      Delete