Wednesday, October 4, 2023

"More guns: we need more guns!"

 

It was whilst sorting out the organisation of my WW2 Red Army - the Prizrak Front comprising 6th Shock and 71st Armies - that the underrepresentation of the artillery arm impressed itself upon my mind. So I have undertaken at least partially to redress that deficiency by adding six more pieces - which turned out to be seven.


We begin with these three cardboard, balsa and toothpick items. I had intended to build just two more, but discovered that I had begun another many years before - the one on the right - but had never got around to assembling it. Never mind, no doubt the extra gun will find employment... These represent 76.2mm (3-inch) field guns, of which I now have nine.

This is a later model 76.2mm fellow, on its base ready to be flocked.

Below are some of the pieces destined to become 122mm L22 medium howitzers. The wheels for these have been taken from toy Army Men vehicles. I'll be using the same for the two 57mm Anti-tank guns when I get around to building them. I'll probably redo the gun assembly.



Almost all my Soviet artillery are home made scratch-builds, though some have incorporated leftover bits from actual kitsets. The exception is a metal 122mm howitzer, sent me years ago by a fellow blogger.


This one (above pic) is a 152mm piece built up from the Airfix 5.5-inch howitzer. The gun barrel with the 'shark-gill' muzzle brake has replaced the original, and the gun shield has been added. I gather that the piece often had extra wheels alongside those shown here, but apparently this was not invariably the case. My other three 152s have the longer gun barrel.  

Not counting anti-tank guns, I will have 9 x 76.2mm, 4 x 122mm, 4 x 152mm towed artillery. In my present project, I'm thinking of 1 stand represents up to 24 pieces, with each strength point representing 6. So a standard artillery 'stand', will have 4 strength points maximum, but a piece that represents a lesser number might have 1-3 SPs instead. 


If this works, the whole will represent 408 artillery pieces carried by the Prizrak Front. The anti-tank guns will add 200 more, and we haven't added the assault guns.

One can never have too much artillery...

12 comments:

  1. Ion, Your crafting skills are most impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norm. Some things are easier to make than others, of course...
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  2. Some impressive scratchbuilding there!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil -
      These field guns are fairly easy to make, fortunately, nor do they take very long (about the same as a plastic kit). I think I have made a bit of a boo-boo with 122s though. They might fetch up as 57mm AT guns instead.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  3. I'm very impressed with your scratch built guns! I struggle to even assemble gun models, so those are great. Have you got a big enough table to deploy all this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin -
      Thanks for the compliment!

      'Big enough table'... maybe my 6'x4' could; otherwise, no. There's more stuff here than used in the big Uranus operation in December 2017. As it is, I AM discovering I don't have enough gunners to man the guns! I'll have to make do until I can find some.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  4. Very nice Ion 😉
    Soviet commanders do like a lot of artillery - almost wheel-to-wheel on the wargames table. I’m sure you’ll make good use of all this firepower.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff -
      I've been reading Antony Beevor's account of the operations around Berlin. In that theatre of the front, the Red Army had well over 6000 tanks and - get this - over 41,000 artillery pieces. All up, my 'Front' will have 27 towed guns, but 8 of them are 45mm AT guns, only 2 of them the L66 type. Not what you'd call lavish. The overall inventory for my German Army is far larger.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  5. If you can see your target from your artillery batteries you are probably far too close unless in a direct fire support role. Most artillery would be far to the rear using Forward Observers or pre-planned map fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drew -
      For operations-level war games, the guns are not out of place on the table, but your comment is apposite all the same. Mind you, the Russians did like to get up close with their arty - direct fire against hard targets (e.g. masonry built-up areas) was often more effective than indirect or bombing.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  6. Archduke Piccolo,

    I’m very impressed with your modelling skills … and I suspect that I will be copying your 5,5” gun conversions for my own Russian forces.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob -
      You are very welcome to copy my conversions. They won't win any prizes, but they have the right look, which is what I want. Actually, one of the reasons for posting the pic here was that it was easier to see than the earlier photo I took two or three years ago.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete