Friday, April 26, 2024

Shapes of Things to Come...

Battle of Lutzen: action joined on the wings

 As it will be a day or two or three before I get my battle narratives done, methought to offer here by way of a preview. There remains, of course, the 30YW action foreshadowed a few days ago.

Cavalry battle near the Flossgraben stream.
King Gustavus Adolphus in the thick of the action.



But I also got around to my hex-board Shambattle, which, as seems often the case with my battles, led to a surprising outcome.

Bluvian forces...


Redinians...



 
But finally, I have also revisited another project from a while back...


Byzantines versus Bulgars, c1000CE, Mythopedion, somewhere in the Balkans. The Byzantine army intercepting a raid - or perhaps mounting a punitive expedition - who knows? The Byzantines (green die) wins the initiative at the outset, and battle is joined. 

Mythopedion: situation at the end of the second 'bound'.

This goes back to Bob Cordery's Developing the Portable Wargame, but with units filling out the hex-grid areas. Strength point losses generally marked by removing bases. 

More of this action, anon...
To be, like everything else, continued...

12 comments:

  1. You look agreeably busy with a variety of battles and projects, I'm rather envious. I was looking at your hex map and admiring how well you've drawn the hexes, I'm thinking of doing something similar. What material is it? Cloth? Other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while, Michael!
      I've kinda had a window of oppoprtunity lately to get some actual war games in. Meanwhile I'm trying to round off some of my 'sideline' projects.

      The hexboard is actually marked out with marker pen on a plywood sheet. I wrote something about it here:
      https://archdukepiccolo.blogspot.com/2017/11/marking-up-hex-grid-game-board.html
      In this article you will find a further link to March 2017, which goes further into the detail of drawing up hex fields. Just to reassure: the thing takes not much more time than it would to draw up a field of squares.

      Tell you what: I've got a LOT of mileage out of this board.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  2. Busy times!! Looking forward to the battle report from the TYW game, should be a goodie! I'm glad Michael asked the board question as I was going to but now I can go back and read the relevant posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess, Donnie, that I'll be spending much of the coming week writing up these battles!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  3. Good to see you getting a mix of games in Ion:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve j.
      Yeah, I was wanting something a little different. I was going to reprise this action -
      https://archdukepiccolo.blogspot.com/2017/09/encirclement-or-breakout.html
      - on the bigger board, but decided that can wait for 'War of the Imperial Succession' events (c.1740s). As I had already generated this map, it became the battlefield.
      One project I have been working on lately is an OPFOR against the Army of Tchagai (check out the 'Long Live the Revolution' label). That will be the subject of an article or two further down the track.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  4. All these games look fantastic, though I'm particularly interested in the Shambattle game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having a lot of fun, Maudlin Jack! Big priority, though, is to get all my projects' armies as nearly finished as may be. Then I can settle down to chronicling all sorts of wars and campaigns that punctuate the history of Planet Urth.
      Cheers,\
      Ion

      Delete
  5. You’re certainly “juggling” a lot of projects Ion. Good luck. I look forward to reading how you’re getting on with it all.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff -
      It has seemed a bit that way at times, but I've managed to get a fair bit done in the last 4 or 5 weeks. Very little left to do for my 30YW and Sengoku projects, and the Harad project mainly uses stuff from WW2. I had some unused WW2 Red Army that have become rifle battalions of Nimruz - a sort of client state of the CCCP (Consolidated Confederation of Collaborative Peoples) and rapidly becoming covetous of certain resources claimed by the Nawabate of Tchagai. That campaign is a fair way off at the moment, but the ideas are there...
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete