Following the defeat at Khashuri, the Kavkaz column of Izumrud-Zeleniya withdrew, and began a rather leisurely retreat northwest towards Kutaisi, a town on the north bank of the river Rioni. Perhaps the withdrawal was a little too dawdling, for Abdul Abulbul Ameer's column ran them to earth within a couple of days. For a few days, the two forces stood whilst the Ameer ordered a reconnaissance of the Zeleniyan positions.
|After the combat at Khashuri - night, 21 May 1875|
|Developments from 22-26 May 1875|
- Heart: Turcowaz Trebizond Command (Suleiman Husnu Pasha) including supply transport by sea, and the protected cruiser Hamidiye*.
- Diamond: Turcowaz Kars Column (Abdul Abulbul Ameer)
- Club: Izumrud-Zeleniya Coastal Command (Generalleytenant Malachi Malodorovitch Kutizedoff) including the naval convoy* and the Guards Legion under Count Ivan Skavinsky-Skavar.
- Spade: Izumrud-Zeleniya Kavkaz Column (Count Ignatiev).
'Graf Ivan Skavinskii-Skavar'
* One issue that does concern me, is that naval movements seem to me a little too sluggish. After all, they could get about a deal faster than any land transport could. I propose henceforth to allow then to move:
- according as the card colour comes up - not just the suit, and
- in addition to whichever land force is being activated.
I think this will bring on a rather brisker chain of events!
|Situation, dawn, 27th May|
|Developments 27-31 May|
The stage was set for a second encounter between the commands of Abdul Abulbul Ameer and the Count Nikolai Nikolaivitch Ignatiev. On 5th June, 1875, the Turcowaz launched their attack...
|Developments 1-3 June. |