Tuesday, March 22, 2022

FP3x3PW - A New Battlefield





The idea for making a new 3x3 battlefield converged from 3 sources: Mark Cordon'e addition of 'flank' areas to his own invention; the vast amounts of sea in my Byzantiad map; and David Crook's idea of naval battles on a 3x3 battle board. Rather pleased with my box-lid board, I was rather reluctant to add in the flank areas, but other considerations prevailed upon me to give the thing further consideration. Finally I found a piece of something upon which to inscribe my 'map'.


Given the area available, I made the squares rather larger than they are on my box-lid - 8cm instead of 7. The whole board is 40cm square. 



OK, what about the sea, then? That came from the idea of long sea shore-lines, and the occasional large water way like the Dniepr and the Ister (Danube). It so happens, I have a Byzantine dromon that I scratchbuilt about 30 years ago. All I needed then was something.... aquatic looking.  




Here it is, a piece of ... vinyl? - cut to size, with a bit of grey paint drabbled on for the shore line. Here, a dromon ghosts along, just offshore, where it might disgorge a unit of marines (my peltastoi stands will do nicely for that sort of thing) or perhaps discharge javelins, arrows and fire syphons at any enemy that comes within range, on land or water...
The waterway might equally well be placed in one's 'reserve' area, signifying a combined operation beach landing.  This would be quite appropriate for actions involving islands such as Cyprus, Crete or Sicily, or for Norman landings around Dyrrhachium, say.  And let's not forget the Rus... It might mean making some long ships, though...  At any rate, this could be a rather high risk undertaking by the invaders!

18 comments:

  1. Love the dromond and river/ coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. I just wish I could get the waterway thing to lie flat!

      Delete
    2. Try some blue tac mounting putty. I love the stuff, I also use it to mount my figures to craft sticks for painting and to affix ( with glue) riders to their horses.

      Delete
    3. Uh... Mark -
      I have this (twitch) 'thing' about (shudder) blue tac. Not a phobia prezackly, but pretty close... I'll (wince) think about it. But thanks -
      Cheers (with a side order of 'aargh!')
      Ion

      Delete
    4. Ok, you could try double sided carpet tape or those double sided mounting squares, but both of them are a little thick. You might also try ironing it on very low heat with lots of steam, or water from a spray bottle.

      Delete
    5. The ironing idea has crossed my mind... Otherwise I have other possible solutions. One of them involves real sand. :-D

      Delete
    6. A bit messy, but definitely more realistic! I've ordered some pre stretched and primed canvas for a stab at some permanent boards. As I finish them I'll post the results on the Portable wargame Facebook page.

      Delete
  2. Excellent looking board and a nice idea having a coastline-flank Archduke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maudlkin Jack -
      Mark Cordone deserves some of the credit. Without the flank area idea, I would not have thought of the waterway thing!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  3. The new battlefield looks great Ion. I like the way you’ve gone with a patchy grass effect, rather than a “solid block” of green. Additionally I suspect the 8cm squares will also help, as that conveniently fits in with DBx’s 4cm base widths.
    Your scratchbuilt dromon also looks very impressive (it certainly doesn’t show its age). Is that a fire syphon I spy in the prow?
    Good luck with the campaign. You’re certainly “on a roll” now… More please.

    Cheers,

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff
      Yes, not only is there a fire syphon tube from that little forecastle tower projecting through the dragon figurehead, but there is one other pointing over each of the bow quarters. I was going to make a couple more vessels of the type, but never got around to it.

      Quite a lot more to think about as far as the campaign is concerned. Might do it in two 'hits' - a basic campaign, but later with add-ons. Tempus fugit...
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  4. That all looks very pleasing and very neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Martin -
      I think my box-lid battlefield has been superseded!
      All the best,
      Ion

      Delete
  5. This is ingenious and looks great to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, John -
      Have yet to fight a battle on it, though...
      Ion

      Delete
  6. Nice looking board. My island board has a beach section in one of the reserve areas; I haven't done much with depiction of flank areas (yet) and your work has inspired a bit of thought in that direction. Now to see how things shake out with the flank areas on my boards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An island board! That's an idea! Is this for World War Two in the Pacific (or the Mediterranean Sea), or some other project?
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete