Monday, January 9, 2023

Doodling...

 Doodling - my word for doing odd little projects whilst listening to a podcast or maybe watching a sports event on TV.  They don't usually involving drawing something inconsequential, like this ... 

But rather finding something that looks vaguely as though it might be turned into something useful. Such as this piece of plastic surfaced board.


This 45cm x 38cm board was rather too quickly drawn up into hexes using my usual method, but the corner to corner distance going UP the board ought to have had maybe 5mm added.  Never mind: it does the job - a 77-cell board for small games. The paint's coverage being problematic on such a surface, I just drabbled it on.  Looks OK to me!

The figures, by the way, I would like someone to identify if someone can.  I'm told they are the old Minifigs 'S' Range Crimean War, or maybe recastings.  I would like to add a few to these to 'round off' the rather awkward numbers.  

And then there were these that follow:

These were built as light, rustic bridges, capable of carrying small vehicles up to light armour, say.  Being too short convincingly to span my wide river sections, over the last two or three evenings, I placed them on bases with blue cellophane river sections 'flowing' underneath. They seem to have come out well in these pictures. The top one features, without a base, in the recent Zugdidi battle.  



This last one (below) I made a couple of nights ago, starting with an corrugated cardboard piece that became the foundation for the central section. The construction was match stick - the type you buy without match heads for this type of project. It could just about stand for a military bridge, with or without the addition of pontoons.  

I think I'll label all future such side-projects under the label 'Doodles'...

18 comments:

  1. Call them whatever you wish but PLEASE keep the cartoon doodles coming. I love ‘em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... They'll have to be 'occasional' ... erm ... illuminations. But I have a few that haven't yet seen the light of day.

      Delete
  2. Can't help you on the provenance figures but they are rather nice, good work on the bridges as well, they all look super.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Archduke,

    Seeing that bridge certainty brought back some long ago scratch built memories! I remember building something similar for my Airfix Napoleonic collection in the early 1970s! It saw an awful lot of service including the ACW, WW2 and the 18th century. Very simple to build, looks great and is hugely versatile.

    Loving the doodles as well and as Jonathan says - keep ‘em coming!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David -
      Every now and then I see a piece of something that looks useful for the basis of something. Somewhere in my inventory of junk I have a bit of garden hose fitting that looks just the thing for a pilot house for an ACW ironclad. I've had than thing for well over 20 years, but still haven't built the ironclad!

      Perhaps instead of 'Doodles' I ought to call these sorts of postings 'Bits and Pieces'.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  4. Some useful bridges and the cartoons are fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find these 'kwikbild' 'constructa junk' bridges handier than some of the more elaborate constructions I have made. Mind you, I have a fine stone bridge, made from real stones...

      Delete
  5. As the 'doodles" are involved with actual modelling rather than drawings shouldn't they be "Moodles"? ☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I called them 'Doodles' because it was kinda something to do with my hands whilst listening to some lengthy podcast or other. Sometimes they are sketches (usually cartoony), but occasionally they are simple things I make. Keeps the brain occupied, I think! Or maybe I am over-inclined to fidget. Never could keep still...

      Delete
  6. Hi Ion....As always your Doodles are fantastic...you have a great talent for sure...I echo other comments to please keep them coming. As for the bridges they look great to me....Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Tony.
      I think I might have started something with the sketches that might not be so easy to stop!
      Best -
      Ion

      Delete
  7. Ion - as ever your sketches/doodles (maybe even caricatures/cartoons?) are excellent. First rate artwork, well drawn and full of character. Please keep ‘em coming. 👏👏
    I know the feeling of “if only the board was 5mm bigger” but I suspect that if it was you’d still want it just a touch larger. That’s always the way. Much like you always discover that just one more line infantry regiment would help (and, perhaps, some skirmishers too. And a few more heavy cavalry - so that means you’ll need more light cavalry too… and various artillery pieces). It’s never ending…
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'For the want of a nail', Geoff, as always! But Time is often the final arbiter of events. 'Ask of me anything but time,' said Napoleon...
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  8. Excellent doodles there Ion! I sued to do a lot of this at Uni years ago, but now a shaky drawing arm has put pay to that:(. The bridges look great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve -
      It's a hard row to hoe losing the ability to do what you like doing. Damn. Were your 'doodles' doodles, or something for publication?
      I have published one or two things - about 20 years ago; and I did begin a series 'Age of Unreason' early on in this blog's history, but I find it hard to keep up the motivation (and the ideas) to maintain a volume of work to create a publishable series.

      Too lazy I guess...
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  9. I like the cartoons very much! I enjoy sketching but can only do it from life - I find it impossible to draw something from my mind's eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I missed this comment, Jennifer -
      I would give something to be able to do proper caracature, but never seemed to have the knack. Occasionally I get close, but usually my efforts simply aren't recognisable. I thought, though, that my depictions of Jubal Early and Jos Chamberlain in the Woodscrew Campaign weren't too bad.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete