Tuesday, April 23, 2024

This will never work...

My 30YW armies nearing completion, methought to try out my ideas for the Battle of Lutzen (1632) pitting probably the two greatest commanders of the conflict: King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden against Count Albrecht Eusabius von Wallenstein, in one of its bloodiest battles, considering the fairly modest size of the armies - fewer than 20,000 on each side.

The armies drawn up for battle: Swedish on the left, Imperialists
facing them
.
It is remarkable sometimes, how the reality (for a giver value of 'reality') differs from the way one imagines a thing will look. For a start, I wanted to try out the 2-hex tercios on the side of the Imperialists. I accept that a modern view seems to indicate that the Imperialist formations were probably more like extra-deep battalia rather than tercios as such, but the tercio scheme seemed to me intriguing.
The Imperialist position. The hex grid, together with the 
limited size of the table, does distort the line of 
tercios, somewhat!
Much less tractable were the Swedish Brigades, for which I substituted 'battalia' type formations comprising 2 shot and 1 pike element. There eight of these, forming two lines of four. Both centres comprised 80 foot figures (32 pike, 48shot). The Imperialists also had a thin like of musketeers - a 'forlorn hope' lining the ditches (represented here by a wall) along the roadside. Six figures (3 elements) of these, plus 12 (2 units of 6) commanded musketeers made up the 98 Imperialist infantry figures. 
Behind Swedish lines. King Gustavus Adolphus
commands on the right wing.


Having settled upon a roughly 1 figure to 100 men representation, the cavalry, especially the Swedish and their interspersed commanded shot and battalion guns were always going to be a problem. What I have here is the best I could manage with the DBR-style elements, reducing to two 2-stand units on either flank, between three 2-stand units of horse. Two units of horse formed a second line, without the musketeers. Overall this gave the Army of Gustaf Adolph just 104 infantry figures - rather under-representing the c.12,000 history seems to indicate. Ought I add within the second line of horse units a commanded shot unit on each flank, bring the numbers up to 116? 
The Swedish right wing: cavalry interspersed with
commanded shot and battalion guns.
The centre battalions comprising 3 elements, I placed the pikes in front (a) to represent the brigades visually, and (b - more compellingly) for convenience. They also got one of the five battalion guns I placed in the table. These I made by combining an ESCI Napoleonic British light gun with the Airfix French artillery carriage. I placed these on slightly smaller bases, with just two of a crew. The two heavy artillery fronting the left end of the centre lines are the Revell pieces with 4 gunners per stand.
Swedish centre - 8 foot units and a reserve 
of 1 cavalry unit in line of elements.
As might be seen from the following photo, the 4 other battalion guns stand in front of the commanded musketeers, two on the left flank (pictured) and two on the right. Now we run into the Portable Wargames Pike and Shot rule set. I shall have to work some changes to them to get this action to be a goer. At the moment, I am considering making them 1 Strength Point each (1SP, although it has crossed my mind to make them 0SP, for reasons and with effects I may discuss another time).

The battalion guns can move 1 hex the time and shoot. The heavy guns I don't allow to move without a horsed team. One may be brought onto the table with suitable activation. Owing to the size of the table, I've doubled the range of the heavy guns: short range to 2 hexes, long out to 6.  The current 1 and 3 hex ranges I have retained for the battalion guns. The line of fire comprises the immediate hex in front, and thereafter the same line and the hexes alongside.
Bernhard's wing 

Overall the Swedish army comprises 104 (or possibly 116) infantry, 66 cavalry, 2 heavy and 5 battalion artillery (18 gunners). There also 4 commanders: the King himself on the right, Brahe and Kniphausen in the centre, (with Ohm's small cavalry reserve 'under' Kniphausen); and Bernhard of Saxe-Weimar (he with the vaguely Saxonic black-green-yellow flag) on the left.

Swedish OOB:
  • 8 'Brigades' each with 4 pike and 6 shot @ 4SP = 32SP
  • 4 'Commanded shot' units each with 6 shot @ 3SP = 12SP
  • 9 'Swedish' (i.e. charging) cavalry each with 6 troopers @ 3SP = 27SP
  • 2 Allied cuirassier units each with 6 troopers @ 4SP = 8SP
  • 2 Heavy artillery each with 4 crew @ 2SP = 4SP
  • 5 Battalion Guns each with 2 crew @ 1SP = 5SP
  • 1 Army commander and 3 wing commanders
Totals: 104 foot, 66 horse, 7 cannon
Strength Points: 88. Exhaustion Point: minus 30SP; Rout Point: minus 44SP.

Imperialist left - looking a bit thin on the ground

On the Imperialist left, the horse looks awfully thin on the ground. Three units of harquebusiers, and, on the other side of the Flossgraben stream, a 2-stand unit of Croat light cavalry. OK, special rules required for the Croats - 2SP, close combat only, average. The Imperialists favouring the deep columns, I have arranged them in units of 3 stands. At the moment this is for the 'look' of the thing, but I should like really to add something in the rules in their favour for their columnar depth, bearing in mind the 'cost' of the extra stand. In this army, the harquebusiers should count no better than 'average'. Something to work on, here.

Imperialist centre: the tercios in 'line'

My, the Imperialist centre do look crowded, don't it just? For come reason, I didn't imagine just how solidly packed these tercios would be. Having deployed them in a species of line, I note that some early depictions (both, notably, from the Imperialist perspective) arrange the tercios in a lozenge arrangement. We'll see more about that in due course. 
The first of two depictions of Lutzen from behind Imperialist
lines. Note the arrangement of the Imperialist 
tercios

This animated depiction conveys, I think, some notion of the ferocity 
of the fighting. Check out the deep cavalry columns on the 
Imperialist left. On the right, Lutzen is on fire.


The Imperialist right comprised a mix of harquebusiers, with commanded shot and artillery on the rising ground - 'Windmill Hill', without the windmills. Overall on the field the Imperialists comprised:

Imperialist OOB:
  • 4 tercios each with 8 pike and 12 shot @ 6SP = 24SP
  • 2 commanded shot units each with 6 shot @ 3SP = 6SP
  • 3 'forlorn hope' elements each with 2 shot @ 1SP = 3SP
  • 6 harquebusier mounted units each with 9 pistoleers @ 3SP = 18SP
  • 1 Croat unit with 4 light horse @2SP = 2SP
  • 4 heavy guns each with 4 crew @ 2SP = 8SP
  • 1 Army commander and 3 wing commanders
Totals: 98 foot, 58 horse, 4 cannon
Strength Points: 61. Exhaustion Point: minus 21SP; Rout Point: minus 31SP.


Imperialist right. The rising ground is 'Windmill
Hill' - without its windmills
Now comes the kicker: a force of cuirassiers under the command of the renowned cavalryman Gottfried Heinrich Graf zu Pappenheim. Now, these cuirassiers are formed into 2 units of 12 figures, but each unit is subdivided into 2 tactical units of 6 figures each. So is the small force of cuirassiers in the Swedish army. These begin off the table, hurrying thither at Wallenstein's urgent summons.
Pappenheim's reinforcements, hurrying towards 
Lutzen
 So we add these to the Imperialist OOB:
  • 4 cuirassier units each with 6 figures @ 4SP = 24SP
  • 1 wing commander (Pappenheim)
This brings the totals up (if and when he arrives) to:
Totals: 98 foot, 82 horse, 4 cannon
Strength Points: 85. Exhaustion Point: minus 29SP; Rout Point: minus 43SP.
Of course, these values will depend upon what losses the Imperialists might have taken before Pappenheim's arrival on the field.

A final comment I should make upon the composition of the cavalry forces I have chosen both sides. Frankly it was less a guess than a decision based upon what units I had available, and their sizes. So really they were all fudged. The 'Saxon' cuirassiers I placed with Bernhard of  Saxe-Weimar's wing.

The battle was fought a week ago. I'll leave the post-action narrative until next time:
To be continued...




18 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see your armies arrayed ready for battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter -
      Whilst drawing this up I didn't realise the table would look so crowded. This wasn't my whole 30YW collection, either: only about half my Imperialist infantry turned up.
      Frankly, I thought the thing would be a frost, but the battle turned out quite exciting - with some unexpected results.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  2. Nice to see your forces and I enjoyed reading your reasoning and thoughts on the set up of your armies. Now to see how the battle turned out.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie -
      I've run through the pics just need to work up the narrative. I'll put labels on one or two of them so readers know what's what and wah-hoo's wah-hoo.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  3. A nice set up there Ion and I enjoyed reading about how you went about choosing the forces, their structure etc. Loved the engraved images of the battle and you do wonder how any semblance of c&C was maintained when the lines clashed, as it must have been absolute chaos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.
      You do touch on a matter that bothered me when I wrote up my own rule set 30 years ago (a seminal work long since lost, methinks, to antiquity). At the time, I permitted the formation bits some flexibility in relation to the parent unit. The thing might be possible using the PP&SW system. That might be something to bring up in the facebook forum.

      In the present action the infantry formations, especially the tercios, operated as an integral inarticulated whole, but with all-round defence against any and all comers.

      One always has of course to take the depictions of battles with a certain skepticism. But on the other hand, as war gamers, I reckon we have the option of idealising our battles according to how contemporaries - or near-contemporaries - perceived them.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  4. Your 30YW Armies look magnificent! Looking forward to reading about the action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack -
      It really was rather sad that they lay pretty much neglected for nigh on 20 years. At long last I got around to finishing them. Someday soon, I field both armies, complete, on my 6'x4' table with a rule set of my own devising (though no doubt influenced by the PW design).

      One thing I was pleased about: I saw no reason to repaint the figures already done!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  5. Echo how impressive your 20mm TYW plastics are!
    Will PW be able to handle an action as big as this I wonder?
    You mention DBR - are you aware there's an old adaptation to DBA2 called DBA-RRR?
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil -
      Well, the table is rather larger than most PW set-ups - 172 hex-grid cells on a field nearly square; about double the usual size. But at the outset there were 360+ figures (with 24 more to come) and 11 guns on the table - so, yep, I did have some concerns about workability. I'll discuss the game systems as I begin the narrative. I will say here that the thing actually went OK, but not without some small changes I'm considering making.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  6. That looks magnificent, particularly the massed and deep formations, they look very much like the woodcut. TYW is a period I've dabbled in, but never very seriously, so I'll be interested to see how this turns out. Some years ago I was in Stralsund, coinciding with the annual anniversary of the siege and battle. The place was packed with re enactors, who even (very bravely) recreated the amphibious assault, leaping from boats into the bay in all their finery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marin -
      That must have been a sight to see! I will admit that 30YW is for me a sideline, too, which goes some way to explain the lack of action in that area to be seen on this blog so far. The neglect has lasted as long as the war!

      But I do like these armies. The Revell figures are superb, but had they been available at the time, I would probably have got a number of the Zvezda Austrian musketeers and pikemen boxes to beef up the numbers of pikemen. I think the Zvezda and Revell would go reasonably well together.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  7. Fantastic work, and thank you for the breakdowns of forces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Demitri -
      I have to admit to being moderately pleased with these armies' appearance (apart from the change in flocking styles, but that couldn't really be helped). There was more work to be done to complete them than I had anticipated.

      One thing I noticed from my battle pictures that the animated cavalry poses, however unrealistic, made dynamic looking cavalry actions.

      Next time I will also discuss the activation system, and the effect of losses to units and to command upon the respective armies.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  8. Really nice reasoning / background post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm -
      I think it helps the narrative along to offer some kind of background and/or justification for the workings of the game mechanics. Occasionally I have thought to run the battle narrative dice-roll by dice-roll, but apart from the occasional 'wow' moment (there were a few in this battle) I find it difficult to discipline myself to that level. I'm hoping that some idea of the game mechanics will inform readers roughly how certain results were achieved - or not achieved!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  9. Good stuff Ion. Your battlefield looks good - and filled with lovely “toys” too 👏👏
    FWIW I have always been fond of the old prints of battles. I assume (rightly or wrongly, I don’t know) that the prints must be relatively accurate and correct, as generally they were produced at the roughly the same time as the battle happened.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff -
      Set up, the thing did look a bit much, but it did settle down to quite an interesting action, and a deal more playable than it seemed it would be.

      I think it is reasonable to treat contemporary primary and secondary sources as a guide, but one in whom it is unwise to place one's whole trust. As war gamers, though, we do have more licence than, say, an historian! Now were this a battle between Severian Kingdom and Austerian Empire, pitting King Gustavus Rudolphus against Count Albrecht Eusebius von Steinwald, we would be more than willing to go with those primary and secondary sources!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete