Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Hyderabad - a project out of the blue

 A recent article in Bob Cordery's blog is the inspiration for this posting - something to which 24 hours ago I had given hardly any thought. The particular topic that caught my eye was 'Operation Polo' - the annexation by the newly independent India of the State of Hyderabad. There were probably good reasons for such aggression: that Hyderabad was entirely bounded by India itself; the State was landlocked (despite some effort in obtaining a seaport, even under lease); and the ruling Prince was having a deal of trouble curbing the insurrectionary elements within his borders.

Was this a possible topic for one of my 'Map Games'? First of all, the map:

'Map games' for 'Operation Polo' 

 Yep: that's to go on my table. I've arranged the map to include the Portuguese territory of Goa, which city, it was hoped, might serve as landlocked Hyderabad's entrepot. If Hyderabad can not come to some arrangement with Goa authorities and Portugal, perhaps more persuasive methods might be examined...

If this proves impractical, an alternate set-up suggests itself. Hyderabad is conveniently divided up into twelve what we might call provinces.  The following map shows that they are grouped into four 'Divisions', but I don't really imagine that for our purposes, the Divisions have much importance. The idea here is that the provinces can be the the determinants of 'area movement'. Battles might be resolved as was done in my 'Blacklands War' of three years back, or the map might be drawn on a reasonably sized card surface, and the campaign played out like my 'Marnon War'  .



'Area Movement' Map of Hyderabad

Operation Polo - the 'police action' - carried out by India involved limited numbers of troops - according to Wikipedia, some 35,000 Indian, against 22,000 Hyderabad State Forces, and anything up to 200,000 Razakar irregulars. Considering that Bob Cordery mentions 1500 of these Razakar, one is somewhat disinclined to accept that 200,000 were ever deployed for action.

Considering the size of the State - some 300 miles (say, 480km) square - the limited forces available to both sides indicates (to me at any rate) a considerable strategic scope. That India completely surrounds Hyderabad does permit them to attack from anywhere, against which the Prince could probably mount only a problematical defence.

Now, for a tentative TO&E for both sides, based on Bob's posting.  So:

Hyderabad forces:

2 horsed cavalry regiments @ 3 stands 
2 light armoured regiments @ 2 x Humber, 1 x Daimler (I have no Staghounds)
2 infantry regiments @ 4 stands (3 rifle, 1MMG)
1 artillery battery (1x 25pr gun/howitzer)
4 Razakar irregular infantry units @ 4 stands (4 rifle)

11 units.  These forces will presumably have wire and land mines available, and to be capable of creating dug-in positions, and demolitions if deemed appropriate.

Indian (Sangrian) forces:

10 infantry regiments @ 4 stands (3 rifle, 1MMG)
1 motor regiment @ 3 stands (2 rifle, 1MMG) , 1 medium or 2 light trucks
1 light armoured regiment @ 3 x M3 Stuart
1 medium armoured regiment @ 3 x M4 Sherman
1 cavalry regiment @ 3 stands
1 artillery regiment @ 3-4 x 25pr gun, howitzer
1 field engineer company with 1 stand, 1 bren carrier 
2 ground attack squadrons @ 1 a/craft (probably a Spitfire, as I have no other aircraft)

16 units + 2 air squadrons.

Now, though I have listed multi-stand units, such a TO&E might not be practical for a single table top game of this operation. Rather, each unit might have to be represented by a single stand or vehicle. The one exception there might well be the Indian artillery, split up into 3 or 4 batteries, one with each column.


However, if playing the thing out as the invading columns progress province by province, then the forces for each Indian column may be drawn from 'expanded' TO&E. The Hyderabad forces would have to be divided such as to offer some kind of resistance to each of the four invading columns, yet retaining enough force capable of concentrating upon and defeating at least one of them.

The invading columns each attack one of the four 'Divisions': at Aurangabad, Adilabad, Nalgonda and Gulbarga. The first actions will take place in each of those provinces, depending upon what forces have been allocated to the respective columns, and, from the Hyderabad point of view, which of the four 'fronts'.

Well, that is as far as I have got with this project, but I think I have the beginnings of two very different games depicting the same operation.

To be examined further...


18 comments:

  1. This is a great plan and I'm looking forward to reading the game report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. Yes. Well... I was actually looking to do something with my Sengoku armies ...
      But I'll have to give the thing a go, especially the 'Map Game' whether with single or multiple stand units.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    2. It was going to happen sooner or later. This operation might well segue into a Tchagai-Nimruz border war, although those two states are cognate to Balochistan and SW Pakistan.

      Delete
  2. That looks great! I was also very taken with Bob's account of the forces to nvolved. My first thought was to do it with Megablitz /NQM or similar, bu given the vast geographical area, I think some sort of map/area movement is the way to go. Then, as you suggest, it is matter of figuring out the distribution of forces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin -
      This seemed to be one of those projects very easy to pick up - hence my distraction from a (non)project I have been working on until recently. That will be the subject of my next posting, but, given the encouraging response to this one, one feels compelled to follow through!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  3. It's odd how a chance remark or article can inspire an unlooked for project isn't it? ☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a thing, Neil, that's for sure. I was thinking about two other projects - Sengoku and pre-Dreadnought naval - when this thing came under my notice. Funny thing: Bob mentioned Operation Polo to me once before, a couple of years back, I think. I read up on it, thought 'That's interesting' and moved on. This time...
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  4. Bob's post did get me to a pondering possible Cold War games in the sub-continent, but this operation has lots going for it for sure. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve - at some point I think I'll be looking at the Indo-Pakistan conflicts as well. Such incidents might well translate into border troubles between the Nawabate of Tchagai and its northern neighbour Nimruz... That will certainly have a Cold War look, Nimruz getting a lot of war surplus from the Confederated Collectives of Collaborative Peoples (CCCP).
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  5. Hmmm… Interesting. I’m keen to see how this pans out.
    I imagine, if they encountered any “difficulties”, the Indian government would simply throw more resources in.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff -
      Operation Polo was deemed by India a 'police action' - and there was some justification in such a description. That meant, of course, they anticipated no difficulty. One reason for the smooth ease with which the operation was carried out with such trifling loss, was that the Hyderabadians were unable to form any kind of coherent defence.

      I think I'll be supposing that the Nizam of Hyderabad had an efficient intelligence network, saw the thing coming, and had some idea of the Indian strategy. Then we'll see what becomes of this.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Geordie -
      I'm finding I'm thinking more and more about it! There are so many ways of handling it, that I might be forced to codify my choice of method explicitly for this campaign.

      If I 'do' an 'area movement' campaign, I'll probably have to insert the railways into the second map. They might be useful for moving troops around, enhancing the value of Hyderabad's interior lines.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  7. Now this looks to be a very interesting game. Back in the day I used the Marnon map board to fight a campaign as well, but it was a fantasy Medieval affair using the Chainmail rules and fantasy supplement. The Elves won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark -
      I think that was the only time I used the Marnon map for anything other than the Wizard's Quest game. Incidentally, the 'Die Range' convention used by the WQ combat system I thought good enough to use in my own war game rule sets.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  8. Archduke Piccolo,

    Well, its amazing how much interest a single blog post can generate! I have even had someone suggest that I ought to run Operation Polo as a wargame at this year's COW ... and I am, certainly giving some thought to that.

    I'll watch how your project develops with interest.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob -
      I don't know how I missed this comment! I'm still thinking about how this is going to work. It would probably work best in the 'Blacklands War' format. For a map game, I'm still tinkering with the TO&E. Your more detailed list complicated things! I'll post a 'draft' TO&E sometime soon...
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete