Saturday, February 10, 2024

Sengoku: the Project that Wasn't.

A 30YW action with Revell figures.

Way back in January 2021 I bought a copy of Bob Cordery (and Co) book The Portable Pike & Shot Wargame (2020). My primary interest in purchasing this little volume, of course, lay in the title. I had a pair of 30YW armies sitting idle: Imperialist/ Austeria and Swedish/ Severia. Incentive to do something with them.

Guess what.

Once past Bob's introductory chapter we run into this: 'The Portable Wargame: A Sengoku Variant' by one Antoine Bourguilleau - historian, journalist, translator and, it seems, a teacher at the University of Pantheon-Sorbonne.  That was serendipity if you like. Interest piqued, methought to embark upon this newfound topic of interest. But I didn't want to commit to a whole new project for which I didn't have the space to accommodate.


Shogun board set up for action. Some readjustments have
already been made.  The Orange faction looks too scattered...


Casting my mind to the playing pieces for the boardgame I knew as Shogun, but which has been renamed over the years as Samurai Swords, and later as Ikusa, methought: plenty there: 5 factions with 9 figures each of Samurai archers and swordsmen, and Ashigaru arquebusiers; and 36 figures of Ashigaru spearmen. Plus 3 Diamyo, though on foot, representing the small cavalry elements, plus 3 flag bearers identifying the 3 armies available to each faction.

The first Sengoku action: the defence of a castle against 
Ikko-Ikki attack.  Clan Oda, Red; Ikko-Ikki, every
colour but Red.


So I had the foot: what was wanting was the cavalry arm. OK, that keeps things within bounds: I bought 3 boxes of Zvezda mounted Samurai.  And a command box as well. Enough for 3x 3-figure units for each army, plus mounted commands for three more.

I got quite a lot of mileage out of those armies...

Early action: Clan Oda attempts to recover a castle 
lost to the Ikko-Ikki

More action among the warring clans

So I had all I wanted from this project and more. 

And then some Vogon places 3 boxes of Zvezda Foot Samurai for sale at $5 the box at last year's Bring-and-Buy. Resistance was, obviously, impossible, especially given the high quality of the Zvezda figures. 44 Figures the box, I reckoned on allocating them among the 5 factions. That has proved rather intractable, so I bought a fourth box (Mini-Kiwiland online retailer) at the usual retail price - nearly half as much again as the three B&B boxes.  I am now on the lookout for a fifth.
Yellow (Orange) and Dark Blue (Purple) armies. Some surplus 
Ashigaru Yari from the Shogun game have been recruited 
into both armies

These I have subjected to my own minimalist paint work: black undercoat, white drybrush, single main colour. I have, however, gone a little further, placing a simple uniform pattern on the nobari flags, metal weapon blades, and the odd extra detail. Added to these armies are a number of spare Ashigaru Yari figures from the Shogun game - enough for eight stands altogether.

Red Army

The figures are no longer deployed individually, but mounted on stands. I began by having as many figures as the strength points for each element. This really didn't work for these figures, so I have gone for stands of threes and twos. To some extent, the number has been dictated by the figures available. There being three standing Samurai arquebusiers per box, it seemed reasonable to place them all on a stand. Their Strength Point (SP) value will be according.
Green Army. I might have to do something about the colour
of the stands.

Now, having played through the original Antoine Bourguilleau rule set, though impressed by some aspects of the way it played (e.g. that a defeated army could successfully disengage in a plausible manner - not something many rule sets achieve), on the whole I found the activation system, especially with a single general, just a little too ... bitty. I was a little dissatisfied with the resulting game. Whilst there is some indication that historical Samurai Army commanders found their followers a little 'sticky', I wanted a little more action. Although not exactly contrary to the Bourguilleau rule set, I have adopted a convention of assigning, apart for the Army Commander,  one 'general' per 6 units, or stands.


Fortified castle. The buildings are detachable...


A point worth observing, too, is that I consider the expression 'rounding down' to mean 'rounding to the nearest integer, with exact halves being rounded to the nearest integer below'. Context of these rules indicates that the author really means truncating, that is to say, dropping the remainder of any division. To illustrate the difference:

Suppose you have 11 units, with 1 general: 
'Rounding Down' as I interpret it:
11/6 => 2 + 1 General, gives 3 activation dice. We roll (2+3+6)/2 => 6 units activated
'Truncating'
11/6 => 1 + 1 General, gives 2 activation dice. We roll (3+4)/2 => 3 units activated.
The difference of 2 out of 11 available units seems to me significant.


... and the detached buildings form a village or town



Very well, but on the whole I have preferred to stay with the 'truncating' the division of the number of units by 6, but adding for more than one general. Here's why.

The Sengoku Wars seem to have been well chronicled, and are replete with outstanding personalities. I notice that this is reflected in the Richard Borg game system in Samurai Battles. (See link for an account). Lots of generals/ personalities. I probably wouldn't be quite so generous. The conventions I came up with for my games are:
1. 1 activation die for each whole multiple of 6 units (divide by 6 and truncate the quotient);
2. 1 activation die for the Army Commander;
3A. 1 sub-general for each whole multiple of 6 units;  
3B. 1 activation die for each sub-general.

The effect of this is a fair measure of control in the early stages - enough for brisk action yet retaining some chance effects - but gradually degrading as losses mount. Attached 'permanently' to particular units, these commanders share the fate of their units. The loss of a general's unit might well cost an army two activation dice come their next turn.


Command tent, marquee or pavilion.  I tend to think
of it as a pavilion.



Going back to our 11-unit army, we would be allowed 
1 activation die for the 11 units (just one 'whole multiple' of 6);
1 activation die for the Army commander;
1 activation die for the one sub-general permitted.

The above picture is of a small command pavilion/ tent/ marquee, which seems to have been a feature of many Samurai army high command. I'll probably make one more, but more oblong and more open in front. These will count as static units, unable to initiate combat, but able to defend themselves.  I suggest it be given 1 SP only, but elite status. The 'General with' addition to the combat dice will ensure it dies hard...

As the Zvezda figures offer a greater variety of figures, the Bourguilleau simplified TO&E will have to be amended - for my games at any rate.


Notes:
  • E = Elite
  • A = Average
  • P = Poor
  • Artillery ranges are short (1 grid area) and long (2-3 grid areas).
  • Pavises count as cover for incoming shot or bow fire.
  • Command pavilion (tent, marquee) can not move, nor shoot nor initiate combat. However, in combat it counts as an elite unit.
Here seems a good place to pause.  To come: Siege of Osaka: Battle among the Tombs, 1615



Siege of Osaka: the Heights of Komatsuyama



24 comments:

  1. Looks more like the little project that could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd ... I thought I had responded to this...
      It's a project that certainly has had a life of its own. One of those 'Ooo... some resources! Gotta look into this!' I'll probably have to look into the suspended 'Shogun' campaign and see where that can lead.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  2. The minimalist painting approach worked out very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter -
      Apart from the rather dark bases, I like the effect myself. I was going to leave the nobari flags the basic colour, but the little extra contrasting motif, along with the white attaching tapes, added a little character, I think.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  3. Interesting to read how this non-project has grown and almost taken on a life of its own, something which we can all relate to I'm sure! I like seeing how you went about tweaking the activiation dice as it were, as in the orginal game, I found it almost too 'game' like, with the dice having too much influence over the game, rather than I as the nominal commander. Maybe I should look again at Bob's rules, but currently have plenty on my plate as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve -
      One of those projects you might come around to some time. I admit I never really like to mess about with others' game mechanics unless I have some idea of why the designer chose them.

      It seems possible that Samurai battles tended to develop in piecemeal fashion. What I've read of the huge battle that probably ended the Sengoku wars suggests most of the forces on hand stayed out of the fighting, at least in the early stages.
      Alternatively, the designer wanted the game to develop in a manner similar to the Richard Borg design. In that system on rarely moves anywhere near half the army, BUT there are other things going on that influence the game.

      The amended activation system I have inferred/tweaked/developed in my view works pretty well for a solo game. I've occasionally looked at the ranges for the shooting weapons with the view to adding 1 grid area to them right across the board. I may do yet, but so far I've been reluctant to go too far with that.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  4. A period I am monumentally ignorant about. Thanks, that is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin -
      I'll be honest with you and admit I know diddly squat about it myself. OK, the Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ikusa games system is certainly intriguing, and the movie Kagemusha - the Shadow Warrior - is interesting (and rather sad). The whole period threw up some powerful personalities - in fact, the whole thing is, at least to my mind, rather Homeric. And complex.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  5. Typical gamer behaviour really. Start a small project, but then you get hit with “if only I had a few more of … that’d be nice and/or useful” and “oh, these are such a bargain I can’t miss out on the opportunity”. We can all relate to that Ion 😉
    The armies are nice and I’m impressed with your terrain - especially the command pavilion 👏
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff -
      Thanks for your comment. I'm actually fairly disciplined when it comes to adding stuff to my inventories of armies. I go to the Bring and Buy events usually with the notion that something has to grab me by the throat and say 'Buy me or you goolies will drop off!' Well, last time I simply had no real choice... There were some useful WW2 kits going for a song as well...
      Cheers,
      Ion.

      Delete
  6. Many years ago I was very much "into" Samurai as a wargames period. I had many books by Stephen Turnbull and had handfuls of miniatures. Aside from the odd RPG session ( "Bushido") never did much with them. I was gifted a lot of early period 25mm and worked on ideas of Japanese Myth "Hordes of the Things" armies, but never got around to painting them. The books were sold in a move many years ago, although the figures remained.
    In the last couple of years, I managed to acquire a job lot of Turnbull's books for a bargain price and I've bought Command & Colors Samurai battles - which of course those Zvezda figures were made for in the first version of the game (which I resisted).
    It's always hovered in the "must do" list....
    I do like your castle and pavilion.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil -
      Well, of course you will simply have to bump your Samurai project up the agenda. You know you want to. Speaking of resource books, is there any history (background, chronology, geography, personalities etc) of the Sengoku wars that you can recommend?

      Possibly the most engaging thing about this period (apart from the personalities) is the artistic treatment of the battles. They have an epic sweep that you don't often get with Western battle art.

      Thanks for you comment about the castle and pavilion. I have a second castle in the pipeline, and plan a second pavilion as well. I'll probably add a few 'village' stands an a couple of 'gateway' stands for the Imperial tombs in the upcoming battle.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    2. Ion,
      I'd suggest anything by Stephen Turnbull - if you can find a copy Samurai a military history is a good start- it's his first book IIRC.
      There's a list here:
      https://www.stephenturnbull.com/

      Neil

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Neil -
      I'll be keeping an eye out.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  7. A very interesting project, alway fancied doing samurai but the painting put me off, I do like your approach to them and may try my hand at a few to see what they look like. The buildings, pavilions etc look cracking as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many ways Samurai has become very accessible for war games battles and campaigns. There is the Richard Borg game systems in Command & Colours and via the Zvezda 'Art of Tactic'.
      And the Zvezda 'Samurai' figures are just about the finest plastic figures in 1:72 scale you can find. Not sure how you can get their Ashigaru sets, though. You could instead try the REDBox Ashigaru (also Warrior Monks and Ikko-Ikki), but although historically accurate, are nowhere near the quality of the Zvezda sets. In some ways it's a pity Strelitz doesn't 'do' Sengoku sets...
      Today, I'll be watching (= probably sleeping through) the Super Bowl and making some more Sengoku battlefield accessories...
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  8. It's amazing how when we start with a little idea how quickly it snowballs. And in my case at least how as the project grows hoe easily I get distracted. I'm looking forward to your next battle report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark -
      I have certainly seen how your projects explode into epic proportions! I have actually had to resist getting carried along too far with them (especially the 3x3 system), in order to keep up with my own programme.

      Having said that, I'm thinking that sometime soon, I really have to revisit the 3x3 Byzantiad, with some little tweaks I have in mind (including the map redone). The campaign design was just a bit TOO volatile, and needed to be geared back a bit. That will be a topic down the track a little.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to that! I loved the first campaign.

      Delete
    3. I have occasionally thought about continuing it - with the tweaks I have in mind. The next battle was to between the Pechenegs and the Rus - the latter on such friendly terms with the Emperor, that they decide the former shouldn't orta go raiding the Empire. 2 problems: light horse vs heavy foot; the P really need a war wagon.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  9. very cool, we used to play games of Shogun for weeks on end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AI
      It's a superb game, but although I've had it well over 30 years, I've probably got to play it maybe half a dozen times. I did play it solo once (its most dramatic sequence was 'Maeda's March' from one end of the board to the other), but one has to find ways randomly for each side to plan its budget.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  10. Hola. Llegué aquí por accidente y me parece fantástico y muy interesante.
    Muchas gracias por todo, gracias a usted estoy aprendiendo mucho y ganando inspiración.
    Un saludo desde España.
    MM

    ReplyDelete