Friday, September 10, 2021

Torpedo Boats

 Forgot to include torpedo boats in my last posting.

These are WIP definitely, and only approximate the TBs in Bulgarian service in 1912.  I've not troubled to reproduce the 'tumblehome' shape of the originals, nor for the moment is the covering and narrow deck over the forward torpedo tube.  I'm in two minds whether to bother - these vessels look like their intended purpose.

These boats' sole armament comprises 3 torpedo tubes; one fixed forward facing, the other two mounted together in opposite facings on some sort of turntable mounting.  Clearly, all three could not be fired off simultaneously - not unless the vessel had a target directly ahead and at 3 o-clock and 9-o'clock on either beam.  How likely would that have been?  However, two torpedoes could be launched sequentially off one side , by turning the twin mount through 180-degrees of arc.
The picture shows one of the vessels on a card.  I'm thinking these little boats will probably need to be so mounted for the preservation of their structural integrity.  I'm also thinking of mounting a flag similar to the Bulgarian naval jack somewhere.

Finally, they may get the same names as their historical precedents:
Drazki (Intrepid)
Smeli (Brave or Courageous)
Hrabri (Valiant)
Shumni (Noisy, though I might substitute Calliope, or Stentor)
Letyashtchi (Flying)
Strogi (Stern, though I might substitute Austere or Forbidding).

To be revisited... sometime.

8 comments:

  1. "Pottering" is all I've managed in the last few weeks....
    Did have plans to do some painting, but circumstances have conspired to frustrate those plans, not least hurting my wrist assembling bookshelves for the piles of unread books bought in the last few years.
    Must blog my limited progress...
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell you what, Neil, when I list all the stuff I have 'done' over these winter months, I was surprised at how much there actually was. Somehow, despite all one's worst efforts, stuff happens. I move in mysterious ways, my wonders to perform.
      Cheers,
      Archduke Piccolo.

      Delete
  2. Torpedo boats are a great idea. They were very high profile in this time period. Just think of the Russian fleet in the North Sea heading east to Japan. The models look just fine too. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Tony. I'll do some more work on them today - paint and flags.

      Delete
  3. I get perhaps too much inspiration from other blogs... lovely models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. I think you flatter me (or them) but they will do for my purposes!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers, Mark - I'll be painting them up this evening. These ones I have mounted on bases for ease of handling.

      Delete