Wednesday, February 2, 2022

A Word on my 'Illuminations'

The observant reader will have noticed the occasional hand drawn 'cartoon' accompanying my posts upon my recent Mediaeval games.  I just do these for fun. I just wish I could think of witty captions for them.

Byzantine victory over Bulgarians -
from John Skylitzes


I'm just a fan of the illustrations that adorn and bring to life what few snippets I've seen of the Chronicles of John Skylitzes.  They are simply charming, even the battles scenes depicting a total slaughter. I see that John Skylitzes: a Synopsis of of Byzantine History has been published and is available in paperback. I'd really like to know more about it, especially to the extent that it includes illustrations from the original. I have Anna Comnena and Michael Psellus in translation, so, why not...?



If this sort of thing appears in my blog, it is simply an indulgence, no more...

13 comments:

  1. I think you can have as many indulgences as you can afford....oops does this cause thesis to appear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your little illustrations are great, keep 'em coming, as far as I am concerned ..... And if doing them gives you pleasure, that's a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rross -
      I've never been quite sure whether this is a good or bad thing, but I find drawing or cartooning one of those things that I can do only when the mood takes me. That does not happen all that often. But it's fun while it lasts!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  3. I have not had time to read your mini campaign, but scanned through to see your drawing. Very enjoyable to look at! Hopefully the mood stays with you for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, jhnptrqn - I'm starting to wonder if maybe Count Roussel de Bolluxe - a Norman adventurer based in southern Italy - might be interested in making a bid, like a certain Bohemond of Taranto, for the Imperial crown. Could be good for a pic or two...
      Cheers,
      Archduke Piccolo

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Ross -
      Practice does improve technique; I don't really practise enough. But I was pretty chuffed the way these turned out...
      Cheers -
      Archduke Piccolo

      Delete
  5. Very nice! You could consider producing an illuminated manuscript version of some of your campaigns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, ... now there's a thought! If I were to do that, it might have to be a small campaign. At the moment I'm thinking Normans (southern Italy, or maybe Epirus); or possibly Pechenegs.

      That might also be an opportunity to bring in the 'Snakes & Ladders' campaign.... Something to think about whilst I work on buffing up my mediaeval armies.
      Cheers,
      Archduke Piccolo

      Delete
  6. A lovely campaign write-up. And your illustrations are first rate. Well done.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elliesdad -
      Tell you what: a bloke with a handle like that is a bloke very proud of his daughter!

      Thanks for your comment. Very much appreciated!
      Cheers,
      Archduke Piccolo (Ion)

      Delete
  7. Hi Ion - yes, Ellie is a lovely girl. I’m as “proud as punch” as they say (why they would say it, I don’t know. It doesn’t seem to make much sense, but there you go…).
    More battle/campaign reports please. And lots of illustrations if you’d be so kind.
    Cheers, Geoff

    ReplyDelete