Friday, October 21, 2022

Kavkaz Campaign: Opening Moves...

The campaign begins; the first 6 days.  The Turcowaz 
are late starters!

Of course, the Kavkaz campaign, and the war of which it formed the major part, was not unheralded by the usual to-and-froing of embassies, envoys and plenipotentiaries murmuring sweet nothings by way of promises and threats. The diplomatic traffic between Moscovgorod and Ionople grew to volumes not seen for many a long day, and some was directed to Tbilisi, Abkhasia's capital, as well. The Czar knew a moment's worry when it seemed that the Prince of Abkhasia might be inclined to accept the suzerainty of Moscovgorod, for, you must understand, certain considerations of autonomy. Fortunately - for the Czar - his envoy found a red line that could safely be crossed, and the anxious moments passed. (How to make bad faith seem oh so reasonable!). The Sultan and the Czar between them having successfully sailed the diplomatic ship into the safe harbour of failure, they made their separate preparations for invading Abkhasia. (If readers are finding something contemporaneously satirical in this passage, you are not wrong!)

On 1st May, 1875, hostilities commenced...
May 1st to 6th
The generating circumstances thus sketchily outlined, we turn here to the campaign mechanics. The moves are generated by a slight variation from Bob Cordery's system as presented in his The Portable Colonial Wargame (Eglinton Books, 2020). This is a card system in which one side is designated black, the other red, and cards drawn, without replacement, to generate moves. The progress of the campaign I hope will show how it works.

But two amendments I made:
1.  Move activation:
The Army of Izumrud-Zeleniya were Black; Turcowaz, Red. But as both armies had two widely separated and (for the opening moves at least) independent columns, I allocated the activations by suit:
- Club: Izumrud-Zeleniya Coastal Column
- Spade: Izumrud-Zeleniya Kavkaz Column
- Heart: Turcowaz Trebizond Command
- Diamond: Turcowaz Kars Command.

One special exception concerned the Aces. The moves could be allocated across the whole army of the appropriate side. You will observe later that this brought on the naval elements of both sides. These were to come under the Costal and Trebizond commands respectively. In future, the naval elements count as under the command of the respective coastal columns. 

2. Card draw:
The cards were drawn in sequences, continuing until a non-sequential suit repetition. In the picture above you will see six cards drawn. The seventh was a heart (as you will see below), which stops this sequence, and begins the next. Each card represents one campaign day, but instead of individual days, each sequence of cards should be seen as a period of so many days. So that first draw represents 6 days' campaigning. Only in a very limited sense is the order of cards drawn significant (e.g. upon contact, who carries out a reconnaissance, and/or who attacks).

You will observe that by 6th May, the Turcowaz Kars command has scarcely left that town; the Trebizond command hasn't left the coastal city at all. On the other hand, a Izumrud-Zeleniyan column has pushed well down the coast road towards Zugdidi. The Kavkaz Column has not only crossed the Kavkaz mountain range successfully, but has penetrated far into the Abkhasia valley. 
May 7th to 11th
During the course of the next five days, the progress of the Izumrud-Zeleniyan armies slowed, whilst the Turcowaz seemed eager to make up for lost time. The Kings giving the commands 5 hexes of movement were invaluable, but two draws exhausted the supply! There won't be any further occasion for such alacritous marching until the deck is reshuffled.
May 12th to 17th card draw
By 17 May, the Trebizond command had reached the vital seaport of Poti - nestled between the Amicable Sea, the Paliastomi Lake and the Rioni River. The Kars Command entered Tbilisi - to find the ruler absconded with most of his household. The Zeleniyan Coastal column had yet to reach Zugdidi, but the Kavkaz column, striking the Kutaisi-Tbilisi road, turned eastward, toward the Abkhasia capital. General-leytenant Malakhai Malodorivitch Kutizedhov little knew that ahead of him stood a large army, soon to be coming his way. 
May 12th to 17th moves
Reaching the town of Khashuri, the Zeleniyans were disconcerted to discover during the course of the next four days that a Turcowaz column had arrived, and was close by to the east. For his part, Abdul Abulbul Ameer was not at all displeased with the results of his reconnaissance. The enemy were in the town in no great strength - not compared with his own command. He ordered the battle for the morrow.
A word on reconnaissance. The Cordery system really applies to the two (or more) player campaign. This one is solo. However, there seemed me at least some potential to adapt it to solo campaigning. The results of the recon are determined by a roll of a single D6 die. A '1' score means the attacking army disdains a reconnaissance and carried on into the enemy occupied grid area. OK, we're looking at some kind of ambush, possibly. One might programme some kind of advance or attack, and then lay out the defence to meet it.

A roll of '6' indicates a very good and detailed reconnaissance. There one might lay out a defence formation, then tailor the attack according (e.g by massing on a flank, say, or by prohibiting the defender to move for D6 moves). In effect, we're looking at a surprise attack. Abdul in fact rolled a '5' - pretty decent recon - good enough perhaps, to refuse action did he not like the odds. Otherwise the scores 2-5 indicate a straightforward battle.

May 18th to 21st moves. Note the 
arrival off the coasts naval elements 
of both sides.
The country round about Khashuri was hilly, with several tracts of woodland, and, here and there, areas of cultivation. Some distance east of the town flowed north to south a small stream, really a creek,  bridged upon the Tbilisi road and a minor road northward, and at the farm, across the river from a cultivated field. This battlefield was generated using the Cordery system adapted for a 10x10 square-grid board. Bob uses an 8x8 square grid or 9x8 hex for the system he devised. My adaptation effectively adds 50% (more or less) to the possible numbers of features.  

Example: Hilly terrain. 
The basic system permits D6 + 4 hills - the scores ranging from 5-10, average 7.5.  I simply added an extra die: 2D6 + 4 hills.  The scores then range from 6-16, averaging 11.  On this occasion I scored 13 hills - moderately rugged country.

To begin the layout process, I roll 2 x D6's, counting down the left-hand side grid rows for the starting point, starting at 2 for the top left hand corner, then, reaching 12, coming back to the same corner.

One change I did make: I placed the town, 4 squares, as a 'given' - no dice roll. I rolled for other Features. Settlements - a '1' - which I decided was an outlying farm, having rolled on 2D6s, a '4' and then a '6' for location). 

Battlefield of Khashuri, 21 May 1875.



To be continued - Battle of Khashuri

* Note:  The gimlet eyed reader might have noticed the sudden appearance of a railway in the final campaign map of this posting. Quite right - something I had intended to research before beginning this campaign. It will probably not much feature, except maybe as LOC and logistics artery for the inland Turcowaz command.



 

20 comments:

  1. Archduke Piccolo,

    Wow! Once the campaign started, things have moved on at a cracking pace. I like the tweaks you have made to both my campaign rules and my terrain generator.

    I look forward to reading more as this campaign develops.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Bob -
      Looking at this battlefield (I have it set up on my table now, ready to go), I might just try the 'as she is wrote' version. This is close country being fought over. Having said that, my 'tweaks' worked pretty smoothly. And the dice rolls for the hills in particular were pretty high. And it is hill country after all (I checked - my version of Geor--- of Abkhasia isn't very accurate, but I try to make it fairly verisimilitudinous).

      I was going to use one of your Colonial rule sets, but decided instead to go with 'The Balkan League' instead - but with the Bashi-Bazouk fellows having muskets. I've also permitted the Izumrud-Zeleniyans enough fortifications to cover the infantry and artillery with fieldworks (where are my log emplacements when I need 'em?!). This is looking like a Turcowaz victory - they have the numbers (and the machine guns), but I've tried to make it hard for them!

      Regards,
      Ion

      Delete
  2. Nice set-up! Looking forward to the clash at Khashuri.
    Will Abdul Abulbul Ameer's old rival Ivan Skvinsky-Skvar be making an appearance in this campaign? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxnnXysOrhw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi nundanket -
      Thank you! I've spelt the name Skavinsky-Skavar (seems it varies) - and, yes, we may very well be seeing him take the field. He's aboard one of the ships off the coast south of Sakhumi, along with the 'Guards Legion' ordered by the Czar.

      Abdul Abulbul (I've seen it spelt Abdullah Bulbul, I'll go with P.C. Wren) Ameer is of course, commanding the Turcowaz in this present battle.

      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    2. I wasn't expecting a 'Whitbread' ad!

      Delete
    3. Ha ha! There’s a few of them. They struck a chord with me when they came out in the 80s and I’ve long had the idea of them as characters in a Great Game related, light-hearted game. Love the Flashman books - that Ignatief is a frightful swine with his knout, what?!
      Chris

      Delete
    4. Chris -
      The same - or at least modelled more on the way Flashman portrays him than the real, except I've made him more military man than plenipotentiary.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  3. Very interesting! I like the system and terrain generator as well. Im

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opps!, to finish my thought, I'm looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark -
      The first action has been fought. Narrative to come.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  5. A really interesting campaign and thanks for taking the time to document the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter -
      After the first action - fought on the morning of May 21 - it's anyone's guess (including mine!) how this is likely to go!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  6. Nice campaign map. Hand drawn or printed?
    I'd be interested in how the solo mechanisms work. Is it a case of randomising rational actions? 1,2 advance on X, 3,4 hold current position sort of thing?
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil -
      I'll mention the randomising thing for battles in the next battle narratives. It is very similar to the system I used for the Blacklands War and the Medifluvia battles. But there is one little refinement I've added, which really has to do with the composition of the army and its logistical elements.

      For the campaign, I really just do something that seems sensible when the cards are drawn. If it comes to making a decision, though, I'll probably do what I did for the Blacklands war: list the options, figure out their likelihood, and roll a die.

      The campaign map I originally drew by hand (as shown in my previous posting) then copied (so to speak) into a machine-readable format. I keep a blank hex map on file that forms the basis of my maps, which are then created using Microsoft Paint. Apart from the fact that I still haven't figured out how I want to depict hills, I quite like the stylised look. I printed out a copy the easier, and more quickly, to generate the campaign moves
      I have seen tutorials showing how to make much more sophisticated maps using the same application.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ion.
      I'm constantly mulling over mechanisms for solo campaigning; I've created characters based on Tony Bath's ideas. I've read he used these when running his game to give choices which can be weighted depending on character.
      I've also created a matrix of relationships (friendly, hostile etc) between the states and come up with a sliding scale for changes when they occur (to be decided by by dice throws). This is still being worked on.
      What I haven't yet developed are rules to govern the strategic moves, hence the query.

      Never had much luck with PC graphics programmes! Remain firmly old school.
      Neil

      Delete
    3. Neil - Thinking of Tony Bath's character-driven Hyboria campaign, there is no doubt the while thing made a wonderful story. I was particularly taken with the two main characters of the big campaign: Phil Barker as Conan, and Charles Grant as Prince Vakar. Both players added a dynamic of their own to the characters - helped along by Richard Nelson's gift for propagandic invective.

      I don't do that sort of thing myself, the characters remaining fairly shadowy as characters, but give names to commanders and rulers. I do think of Empress Harmonica as a Maria-Theresa, King Draco as a lesser and more cynical Frederick the Great, and Archduke Piccolo as a somewhat bolder Count Leopold Daun. The reason for my approach is that my campaigns are to be event driven, not character driven. Having said that, a character's character might well aid deciding how a narrative is like to proceed.

      I still recall Tony Bath's response to Phil Barker's acting 'out of character' in some dark ops enterprise; and how Charles Grant as the Prince, and Richard Nelson as polemicist gradually darkened of the character of Vakar. Delightful.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  7. You’re really making progress there Ion. Well done. I look forwards to reading how things go in the forthcoming battle.
    I see you’ve used a few plastic counters for the map action. I have a 7 Years War set-up that needed a counter for Austrian “turn marker”. Silly s0d that I am, I use an old Austrian coin from 1757.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff-
      The counters and the printed map meant I could play out several days' worth of campaign in a few minutes. I suppose I could interesting the thing up more by substituting some kind of flag symbol. Actually that could be done using 'Paint'. I did something of the kind for my Blacklands war - though there I used Army and Navy symbols.

      I'll think about your ... suggestion(?). I like the idea of using an artifact from the time for a campaign game from the time. It might tend to make the campaign maps a little more interesting if I use some sort of symbol. I'm a bit concerned that it might make the maps a bit more 'distancing'. I probably ought to explain what I mean by that some time...
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  8. What a fine start to the campaign and has made me want to go and find Bob's book to see how I can use it for my solo campaigns in the future, along with your amendments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Steve -
      I'm glad to be some kind of inspiration for others to try out campaign projects. They are fun, and they do give one's battles a context. Of course, if you go down the 'Hyboria' track, as Norm suggested in his comment, then you give your campaigns a context as well. But I find it simpler just to invent one.

      My amendments are really tweaks to fit my set-up - especially my game boards (hex and square grids). The composition of my armies is a little different from his as well, especially in the presence of 'sub-commands'.
      Regards,
      Ion

      Delete