Thursday, December 7, 2023

Shambattle - Square Grid Set-up

The Purple River valley, looking north from behind 
Cerulean City

In the year dotteen dotty-dot, the border tensions in the Purple River valley between Redina and Bluvia had reached breaking point. Both sides alleged border violations by the other side - some of those allegations true enough - and both sides flung charges of aggression, perfidy and all manner of undiplomatic epithets. Of course, both sides proved the veracity of such allegations by issuing threats and massing troops along the border. It was merely a matter of time before one side or the other would declare - by direct action if not by ambassadorial note of hand - that a state of war existed between the two countries. 


The casus belli has been lost to time, if ever there even was a credible excuse avowed, let alone reasons adduced. On Someday, the umpty-oddth  of Cantremember, dotteen dotty-dot, the President of Bluvia (this was decided by dice roll) gave the go-ahead for Marshal Azurena, commanding the troops already assembled, to cross the river, and to take, secure and hold the territories beyond in the name of la patrie. It was probably just the President's shorter temper that determined who would thus disturb the peace of nations.  History will aver that the Prime Minister, after a visit to the Palace, had in his hand the Royal go-ahead for an invasion of Bluvia at the time breathless aides-de-camp arrived to announce that border had been breached. 

Looking northwest.  The pebbly bits of river identify the fords.

I've finally made a start on my first Shambattle action using my square-grid game surface. We begin with the map table, and the troops deployed. Going a little 'outside' the system, I diced to see whether the river was fordable. On a six the river section in a given section defined by the square widths was fordable. The Bluvians found the river immediately to the left of the centre and the Blueburg bridges could be crossed by all troops (Had sixes been wanting, I was probably going to accept fives.  Had I accepted fives and sixes, the whole stretch of river from Blueburg to the centre bridge would have been fordable. To the right (east) of the centre bridge, the only crossing was the bridge at Blueford - not the aptest of names for that settlement! 
Looking southwest.  Redina hospital wagons wait behind the 
riverine towns to collect the casualties. Azurian 
Nordenfelt mirailleuses cover the centre bridge.

The wagons you see in the pictures are the mobile hospitals, placed fairly close behind the river towns to be on hand at need. The fixed hospitals are in the regional capitals, the Bluvian in the mosque-like edifice in Cerulean City; the Redina housed in the building close by the peach orchard.

For the composition of the respective armies, please refer to the previous posting on this topic.
Looking towards the south.  The house close by the peach
orchard has been commandeered as a hospital.



I have yet to determine where the treachery lies within the respective armies, and their nature. I think I'll wait until a move by both sides has been made, before using some random(ish) method of determining wherein perfidy lies.

To be continued...

6 comments:

  1. It’s all go, go, go then Ion. Any excuse for a battle is good enough for me. With regards to naming I remember, many moons ago, playing in a sci-fi campaign where I named a couple of my officers as Colonel Mayjurr and Major Kernell. I can only assume I thought this was funny - oh well, I’m older now and hopefully wiser 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff:
      You remind me of a SF novel by (if memory serves) by one Philip Jose Farmer, in which the central character is an army Major. He's on the hunt for a mysterious, hidden character who calls himself 'the Kernel', the leader of some insurgent movement. The nom-de-guerre of this hidden character suggests something central and vital - an existential core of the insurgency. It also suggests something else...

      Just who this "Kernel' cove is might be guessed at from the time-slip motif that features in this, among many, of PJF's SF novels.

      If you have read 'Catch-22' you might recall a certain Major Major. I have an idea his front name was also Major. So he was Major Major Major. And I also recall from researches into 40 Squadron, RAF, a certain Flight-Sergeant Sergeant, his last mission ending with the loss of aircraft and entire crew.

      Always worth playing around with names, and I like your inventions!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  2. Great looking set up Archduke. The use of fords should help things move a bit more freely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack -
      They certainly mitigated to some extent the effect of choke points. I've fought the battle, and once I got a handle on what I was doing, events certainly went with a swing. The narrative will follow in a few days (I have some more battles to fight first!)
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  3. Archduke Piccolo,

    Having been ill for the last few days, reading your blog post really lifted my spirits. I love the backstory and the tabletop you have created, and I look forward to reading more as the battle unfolds.

    Seeing your larger map/battlefield has convinced me that I ought to try to follow your example as soon as I can.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob -
      You flatter me outrageously. I am very susceptible to flattery. I had forgotten that was using my version of 'Memoir '44' combat systems until 2 moves in - and then I came to realise, I ought to have added 1 to the SPs of the foot and horse. Never mind: the battle was a sanguinary affair with a result ... sort of.

      I'll post a picture or two on the FB PW group; the write-up will be waiting on some other action I have in mind.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete