Monday, December 4, 2023

Yet Another Portable Army War game

Riffling - or rifling, take your pick - the other day through the piles of paper that my wargames hobby seems to generate in overabundance, I (re)discovered a map of a battle of which I had long ago made a grid-map for. This one was from the 1814 campaign in France: Montereau, 18 February. So yesterday I put together an order of battle for the Portable Montereau.


My Portable Montereau battle map.  The Seine river
being such a substantial flow, I've run it down the centre 
of the grid areas, rather than the hex-sides.

This hex-map is how my battle board is supposed to look. The second map shows where some of the  the Allied troops - to wit, Wurttemberg's IV Corps - are deployed at the outset. The French arrive from off-table at the entry points A (General Pajol), B (Emperor Napoleon, after several game turns)  or C (Marshal Victor). Feldmarschallleutnant Bianchi's I Corps may arrive at point D.  The lozenge shapes locate the Corps and Division commanders on the table.

Table map with Allied IV Corps deployed



Now, looking back, I seem to have neglected to post the Order of Battle (OOB) for the respective armies for my rendition of the Battle of Ligny. Hiatus maxime deflendus - an unfortunate oversight that I might have to remedy by modifying one of the postings for that battle.

Here is my OOB lists for Montereau.





In the Allied list, Black represents Wurttembergers, Blue are Bavarians (one small brigade), and Red are Austrian.

I have yet to decide the programme of arrivals on the battlefield. In the Age of Eagles scenario from which this is derived, Napoleon arrived at Move 10 with the Imperial Guard. Feldmarschallleutnant Bianchi's Corps was optional, but if taken, started dicing - 50-50 proposition - from Move 11. I rather think matters will develop more quickly using the Portable Napoleonic Wargames rule set, so I'll start dicing for Napoleon's arrival at Move 5 (5 or 6 being required) and Bianchi from Move 6 (6 being required; 5 or 6 after Napoleon's arrival).  

The figure scales are very roughly 600 per foot Strength Point (SP), 300 per horse SP, and 10 cannon per artillery SP.  Probably the Wurttemberger and Bavarian contingents will have Austrian proxies, though I could conceivably use Prussians instead. 

The French have a decided advantage in this scenario, even with Bianchi's arrival.  

7 comments:

  1. Another well researched and interesting looking game I hope you will play out for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you flatter my research methods, Mark, though I do take some pains to translate Age of Eagles 'numbers' to Portable Wargames format. I have just done the same for the Maloyaroslavets battle. I may be playing out this action with a friend and his 15mm Armies some time fairly soon, but I thought it would be interesting as a PNW game.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
  2. Another wonderful looking set up - looking forward to reading about Boney's exploits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. TBH I’d like to read about the Corsican chap getting a bl00dy nose but, as in the “real world” battle, I suspect this isn’t likely to happen. Still, I suppose Boney was rather firefighting at this time 😉
      Cheers,
      Geoff

      Delete
    3. Maudlin Jack -
      I hope I can get these project onto the battle board some time soon!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    4. Geoff -
      I'm actually something of an admirer of Napoleon - the world could really, really use someone of his capacity right about now. I'm thinking more about his administrative skills, his work ethic, and his sure touch in selecting officials with real ability. His man-management skills were pretty something, as well. It's hard to think of more than one or two of today's world leaders who are a patch on Napoleon.

      But that doesn't mean Napoleon gets to win every time in my battles!
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete