|Columns marching into a collision.|
|Battle of Dimitrovgrad, showing approach roads.|
Turcowaz First Army:
- Command: Nazim Pasha (Poor) = 6SP
- 1st Infantry (veteran) = 4SP
- 7th, 8th, 13th Infantry (trained) @3SP = 9SP
- 14th Infantry (trained) = 4SP
- 23rd, 24th Infantry (green) @4SP = 8SP
- 1st Cavalry (trained) = 3SP
- 3rd Cavalry (green) = 3SP
- 1st Field Artillery (trained) = 2SP
- 5th Medium Artillery (trained) = 2SP
- 1st, 2nd Transport Columns @1SP = 2SP
Strength points 43, Exhaustion Point -15SP.
|Chervenian 3rd Cavalry in trouble.|
- Command: General Nicola Ivanov (Average) = 6SP
- 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th Infantry (trained) @ 4SP = 16SP
- 10th Infantry (trained) = 3SP
- 18th Infantry (green) = 4SP
- 19th Infantry (green) = 3SP
- MG detachment = 1SP
- 3rd Cavalry (trained) = 3SP
- 5th Cavalry (green) = 3SP
- 4th, 5th Field Artillery (trained) @ 2SP = 4SP
- 7th Heavy Artillery (trained) = 2SP
- 3rd, 4th Transport Columns @1SP = 2SP
Strength Points 47, Exhaustion Point -16SP.
Encounter battle special rules:
At about this time 3rd Turcowaz Cavalry hoped to clear away their opponents and open up the northern flank. Mounting a steep rise to their front, they surged down the other side - and met what might as well have been a brick wall. The Chervenian horse - as green as their opponents - set an implacable defence against charge after charge. It was a depleted Turcowaz cavalry that finally gave up the contest and retreated to the gun line.
As the day faded into the late autumn evening, the battle sputtered to a close.
Nazim Pasha's invasion of Chervenia was at an end - that much was certain. A Turcowaz victory might have laid open the road to Sofia, and possibly Chervenia's withdrawal from the war. Instead he had to decide into which Imperial province he would retreat - North Macedonia, Rhodope of West Thrace? Probably Rhodope was safest, as there he was less likely to run into enemy forces than in the other two.
- 1-2 Retreat to North Macedonia
- 3-8 Retreat to Rhodope
- 9-0 Retreat to West Thrace.
To be continued: East of Salonika: another Turcowaz-Chervenia clash.